NOW ACCEPTING COMMISSIONS
FOR 2019 AND BEYOND!
As a composer, the opportunity to write a piece that is specifically tailored to the needs and interests of a choir is one of the most exciting opportunities I can have. I've been very lucky to work with groups of all shapes and sizes, including middle school, high school, collegiate, community, and professional groups; from the extremely well-funded to the "not-at-all;" and from the "every day" to the exceptional! Each commission has brought its own unique challenges and opportunities to the table, and I love that.
As a teacher, I understand that commissioning a new work can be a daunting experience, so I want to make it as easy as possible for my future clients.
Therefore, here are some promises that I make whenever someone asks whether I can write something for their group:
- I will ask about your goals and write the piece that you want.
- I will work to accentuate your group's strengths.
- I will adhere to your desires with regard to length, divisi, instrumentation, range, and any other considerations.
- I will work with you to choose a theme, text, and/or mood that appeals to you, your choir, and your audience.
- I will work with copyright holders to secure rights for text that is not in public domain, when necessary.
- I will show you unfinished drafts and allow you to request modifications that suit your ensemble.
- I will provide a polished working copy of the score in time for you to prep your rehearsals.
- I will provide MIDI part-tracks and accompaniment, as desired.
- I will provide a finished, thoroughly edited, and dedicated score to ensure the final edition is perfect.
- I will provide a thorough contract and invoice, so you know exactly what to expect—and when.
- I will work directly with business services, donors, administrators, or accountants to make life easy.
- I will be available to discuss questions and concerns via email, phone, or text.
- I will make myself available to conduct composer Q&A's, clinics, or both on Skype.
- I will charge a fair market price that respects your budget.
THE AVERAGE COMMISSIONING COST VARIES, DEPENDING ON THE DESIRED LENGTH, COMPLEXITY, AND TURNAROUND TIME, BUT AVERAGES BETWEEN $500-$1000. INSTITUTIONS WITH PROVEN RECORDS OF EXCELLENCE, DIVERSITY, OR SOCIAL SERVICE RECEIVE SIGNIFICANT DISCOUNTS.
If a traditional single-school commission is outside your budget, ask me about starting a "Commissioning Consortium," where other schools (either in your area or across the country) share the cost of commissioning an original work together. This is a great way to build community and reduce costs!
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN HIRING ME FOR A COMMISSION, PLEASE USE THE CONTACT FORM.
I'm lucky enough to have my works performed all over the world. Below are just some of my commissions and premieres.
University of Washington; Pundits and Poets arrangement; SATB, percussion, strings; 2017
Winston Knoll Collegiate
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada; The Dove that Calls; SAB, piano; 2017
Monroe High School
Monroe, Michigan; Fairy Song; SA, piano; 2017
Florida ACDA Men’s Honor Choir
Journeyman’s Song; TTB, piano; 2015
Kansas ACDA Treble Honor Choir
Now, Voyager; SSA, piano, horn; 2017
Inaugural Symposium on Singing and Song
Newfoundland, Canada; Frobisher Bay; TTB, piano; 2015
“Dream of the Caged Bird” (CO, TX, FL, OH, OK, CA, MA, NJ, PA, MO) 2017
The Texas Voices
Dallas, TX; “Mezõ de Solé Levé” SATB divisi, djembe; 2017
Grand Junction High School
Brad Hirsch, Director; “Come With Me” SSA, percussion; 2016
Castille High School
Cami Clausen, Director; “Dream On” SATB, piano; 2017
GALA Chorus Festival
Denver, Colorado; “My Country Tis of Thee” brass arrangement; 2016
Prairie Point Middle School
Cedar Rapids Iowa; The Witching Hour; TTB, piano; 2016
Fort Collins High School
William Ecker, Director; “San Aki no Haiku” SATB, piano (choral set); 2017
University of Northern Colorado; “Furiosa” Mezzo Soprano, guitar, percussion; 2017
Kara Kupecki, Ethan Peckham
University of Northern Colorado; “A Little Song,” soprano, baritone, piano; 2016
The Texas Voices
Dallas, TX; “anyone live in a pretty how town” SATB, piano; 2016
Out Loud: The Colorado Springs Men’s Chorus
“Hold On” from The Secret Garden, TTBB; 2016
Patriot League Honor Choir
Greeley, Colorado “Afternoon on a Hill,” SSA, piano; 2016
University of Northern Colorado Chamber Choir
“Firelight,” SATB; 2016
Discovery Canyon Campus
“I’ll Make a Man Out of You” from Mulan, TTBB; 2013
Baylor University, Waco, Texas; Sussurations, Soprano, piano; 2011
Grapevine High School
Patrick Antinone, Director; Born on a Fishing Boat; SSA, piano; 2012
If you are interested in hiring Braeden Ayres for a commission, please use the contact form.